Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Dagger Eyes

I haven't posted anything new on this in a long time. To anyone who actually checks this. I'm sorry. But to make it up to you, I present you with this.
A month ago I posted about the SUPPOSITORIES last show that was happening at Bored To Death.














THE DAGGER EYES are the new band forming out of 1/2 of SUPPOSITORIES. That half being comprised of Ian (bass/vocals) and Ilona (guitar). I clicked on a link to their myspace page and clicked on the first song not really knowing what to expect. Holy shit! I was immediately pummeled by a blast of punk fury. Somewhat similar to the approach that SUPPOSITORIES were going for but THE DAGGER EYES turn it up a few notches till the knob broke off or exploded. Straight-forward and simple but way faster, more exciting and more intense.

RAYGUN starts with 4 drum hits then the guitars come running out of the gate playing one chord. That's all that was needed. Ian's vocals kick in delivered in his high pitched voice that sounds like he's being chocked by some invisible hand. They throw in some electronic sounds and manipulations on the vocals that are a nice touch. A minute and twenty-two seconds of punk perfection.

With the second song, VAMPIRE, I am getting a very late 70's/early 80's Orange County vibe from it. Totally dark and vicious like getting chased into a dark alley by a razor-wielding psycho. Another really straight-forward and simple song with a spoken verse then the chorus blasts in "I SANK MY TEETH INTO YOUR FLESH!"

I'm really liking these songs a lot. These two songs pressed onto vinyl would make a killer debut single. I am VERY curious to see what else they have up their sleeves but for now these two songs will do. Definitely looking forward to seeing them live.

No comments: